The thoughts that were thunk and the goings on of my life.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Top seven reasons homosexual marriage should not be legal:

  1. Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and birth control.
  2. Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people can’t legally get married because the world needs more children.
  3. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
  4. Straight marriage will be less meaningful, since Britney Spears’ 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful.
  5. Heterosexual marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed at all; women are property, blacks can’t marry whites, and divorce is illegal.
  6. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country.
  7. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a “separate but equal” institution is always constitutional.

Alright, normally I don't post canned things, but I really liked this. Actually I'm a little against #7. Realistically since our government is NOT a theocracy, nor should it EVER be a theocracy, the idea of a government recognizing marraige at all is silly at best. From the government's perspective they should only care who is responsible for eachother. My personal belief is that there shouldn't be marraiges at all, but that we should ALL have to get civil unions. Then if you want to have a religious institution recognize the civil union as a marraige then they could do that and you can say you're married. What's it matter to a government who is responsible for another person? Heck, you can unionize with your sister for all I care...just don't expect any church to recognize that as a marraige.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that marriage should be defined by the government because for one thing, I know that in Canada this distinction was not made, and then one day their were some preachers reading Chapter1 from Romans from the Bible and they were arrested for hate speach

I think it is an important distinction to make
Lacie Rector: I also think it is important because yes, for Christians marriage is only a covenant unto God, but even so they must still go through the government to have a legal marriage that everyone else is required to undergo.. I think if this legal contract that married folk go into is compromised - I think it will have dire effects on the conscience of this country... these dire effects will come about because, yes Christian know that the state legalities isn't really what marriage is about, but most people (non-Christians) I feel don't

And I think if you begin to normalize it people without a strong moral conscience won't differenciate and it will be easier to become the norm

And I think if a perversion of what is right becomes accepted and normalized then it does not bode well for the society in which that occurs.

So, that is why I have formed my opinion as I have

Lacie Rector