The thoughts that were thunk and the goings on of my life.

Monday, November 08, 2004

America Spoke and Life Goes Racing Onwards

So, the elections have come and gone. Despite my worries somebody managed to be elected by enough of a majority that it prevented either party from starting a virtual civil war split between the "For Bush's" and the "Anything-But-Bush's". Although I did vote for the Douche Bag I'm not really upset at his loss. I do respect how quickly he conceeded, and frankly I feel sorry for him because he was unable to conjure more of the vote despite almost half of America's absolute disdain for him. I just hope the rest of the world is willing to start working more with Bush. I think they may have thought that he was going to be unemployed soon, but now that he's not, perhaps they will have to work more strongly with him. I think that's all I'm going to write about this, because I really don't care. I'm really hoping that the US is given some great candidates in 2008. My predictions/hopes are Colin Powell vs. a party shifting John McCain. As long as the Dems don't really think that Hillary could become elected, then their party will be in better shape.

Now on to things that really matter. God, Friends and Work. I'll go in reverse order. Work is starting to get fun. I'm starting to get a little busier and there are a few more challenges that are motivating me to get excited about it all. My real wishes are along these lines. I hope that I get to better know the people in my team and that we are able to grow as collegues and friends. I hope that I can prove to myselft and to the company that I'm an asset.

Friends are so great. This last week I was blessed by God showing me just how many friends I've made over the past few years and just how much I value their friendship. I had a couple of friends come in to Austin to visit me and we had a blast. Then this weekend I went to College Station to see the game, but more importantly to see friends. And somehow I got to see a ton of them. Friends from Fish Camp, FLIP, roommates, my freshmen, friends from camp. And I also learned that one of the people I always considered a friend really couldn't care less about me...that hurt, but it was a lesson I needed. It was so much fun, with so many stories that I'd love to share, but must remained locked in my head.

When I got back to town I picked up a roll of film from HEB. This was a roll that I had somehow found in all of my stuff, but had no clue where it was from, when I had taken the film or if it was even mine. So I was pretty excited about finding out what it was. Perhaps lost college memories, maybe something from a party or a friend's lost roll filled with their memories that were unknown to me. But instead it was the LAST thing I expected. It was a roll containing pictures of my family. All of us as kids. Me from my only leading theatrical role in the Homeschool play "Pilgrim's Progress." Pictures of my grandfather alive and laughing up a storm with his grandkids. Us kids playing in the lake together before the stupid adolescent differences slowly drove us apart. And finally my parents in their younger days, a bit less wise and a bit healthier looking (or as my dad said refering to his present overweight condition, "That was one and a half people ago"). The best surprises are the ones we least expect, and this is no exception.

God in His typical fashion has made me snap back into reality and realize how important he really is in my life. Recently I had been pondering what our lives are really meant for. Where our true purpose lies, where people find hope. How people attach themselves to an idea or concept, so that they are enslaved to a purpose and thus gain meaning and importance. How there is true freedom in not looking out first for one's self. All of those thoughts motivated me to do some reading, and to in general try to slow my life down a bit (something I'm horrible at and really doubt will ever happen). Therefore I'll leave you with a few quotes that I've found meaningfull.

Unless you assume a God, the question of life's purpose is meaningless.
- Bertrand Russell (an atheist)

A life devoted to things is a dead life, a stump; a God-shaped life is a flourishing tree.
- Proverbs 11.28

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*sniff* I didn't know you were here. I share your hopes for what happens after the election. From news reports, it looks like it will be possible, though I know some is hot air. I"m glad your work is starting to get more fun. :) I'm increasingly unsatisfied, but I suppose that's all up to me. Very cool film find. I love surprises like that.

Andrea