The thoughts that were thunk and the goings on of my life.

Monday, April 19, 2004

This week was amazing. I got called in at the last minute to help the Terry Foundation do interviews for new potential scholars. I got to do it once before while I was in Austin, and it was really cool, but this year just blew me away. First off most of these kids are freaking awesome. I swear, I met some people that knew more coming out of high school than most adults I've ever met. They knew what was important in life, they had a positive outlook on things despite extreme hardships and they are looking ahead at life with passion and vision. It really impressed me. Plus, I got to play a little bit in the hand of fate because I was able to directly help the foundation pick some of these kids. Some of these kids came from backgrounds where college was just some far off dream, where they lived off of $10,000 total a year, where their mom shot herself, or their dad left them and refuses to play a role in their lives. I think it's amazing that we can help to play a role in letting them get an education for free, to take and finally play them a card in this game of life that's in their favor.

While I was down in Houston I finally did something that I've been meaning to do for the last 5 years, but delayed my whole college career. I visited my best friend, the wonderful Ms. Kelly Caffey. It was so great to see her, spend some time, catch up, and realize that even though we may spend time away from those that we love, that we never stop loving them. Seeing her was great, and it's helping to remind me that even though I'm leaving college soon that I won't lose those friendships either, despite us all being seperated perhaps for years.

Things I learned this week: Even though people may have everything working against them, they can still overcome with the right attitude and some well timed help. Friends are really friends forever if they choose to be such. My life has been filled with amazing people that God has placed in my path at the right times. I am only where I am because of those that have helped me (Insert Isaac Newton quote). People at NASA are really smart AND really weird at the same time, but they were fun too. I'm glad I'm going to work in a company that doesn't have much red tape. College ends in 3 weeks, but my life is just beginnning!

Finally here is a poem that I found while cleaning my room that is from my English teacher in Germany. It's really hard to read aloud, so go ahead and try it:

A Dreadful Language?

I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble but not you,
On hiccough, thorough, laugh and through.
Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?

Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird,
And dead: it's said like bed, not bead-
For goodness' sake don't call it "deed"!
Watch out for meat and great and threat
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt.)

A moth is not a moth in mother
Nor both in bother, broth in brother,
And here is not a match for there
Nor dear and fear for bear and pear,
And then there's dose and rose and lose-
Just look them up - and goose and choose,
And cork and work and card and ward,
And font and front and word and sword,
And do and go and thwart and cart -
Come, come, I've hardly made a start!
A dreadful language? Man alive.
I'd mastered it when I was five!

Song of the night: Red Meets Blue by Matt Wertz

No comments: