The thoughts that were thunk and the goings on of my life.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Are You Good Enough?

Recently I purchased Neal Boortz's book Somebody's Gotta Say It and ran accross this amazing quiz in one of the chapters. The quiz can be found online here:

The Boortz Citizenship Quiz

And this is why I love this guy. You may not agree with all of the points, but man...they really make you think. And I'm ashamed to say there's a good chunk of the questions in there that I really don't know anything about or completely understand. - It would really help if there was an NIV or NAS version of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. -

Just in case you're too lazy to check out the list here are a few of the questions that really made me think.
  • If our Constitution provides for equal protection under the law, why, then, does the Voting Rights Act only apply to certain states who were held in political disfavor in the 70's?
  • Where in our Constitution does it specifically state that only U.S. citizens may vote for the office of President of the United States?
  • Why were the words "under God" placed into the Pledge of Allegiance?
  • How many times can the word "democracy" found in the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution?
  • How many times can the word "democracy" found in the constitutions of any of the 50 states?
  • If two wolves and one sheep vote on what they're going to have for dinner what do you think the menu will look like?
  • Do you have a choice as to whether or not you pay Social Security taxes? Why then do they call Social Security taxes "contributions"?
The wife and I actually had a really great conversation trying to figure out the 'right' answers to some of these. And we ended up having a lot of fun discussing these issues. That's one of the best things about being married to her...just when I think I know her inside and out I just keep learning more.

No comments: